Hello. I am Barbara Kidd Lawing, and here to announce a new venture—a Writers Day Camp—so see those details below.
I am a writer and freelance editor and performance poet near Charlotte, NC.
For more than 20 years I have taught writing classes: for Central Piedmont Community College and the Levine Jewish Community Center, plus multiple private classes including work with performance groups. I also lead weekend writing retreats. See these schedules on pages listed at left.
My work as editor ranges from a quick review-with-notes of your beginning chapters, to frequent reviews/counseling through the long process of creating, to a final full review that includes punctuation check, content check, and attention to sentence structure to ensure the reader’s instant grasp of what you’re saying.
My book, 117 Poems, is available at Main Street Rag.
NOW THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:
Writers Day Camp
May and June 2014
Wednesday - Sunday, 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
6211 Jim Kidd Rd, Huntersville, NC 28078
In May and June I am opening my property just north of Charlotte as a Writers Day Camp. The idea is, this spot is in the country – though it’s in Mecklenburg County, and every day Wednesday thru Sunday in May and June the yard, the trees, the view of surrounding pastures welcome you to come and mark out a quiet spot away from your usual routine – a chance to give your prime energy to writing. No cares here, just peace.
Grand Opening Saturday May 3, 10:00 – 1:00. Plan to be here. Bring a friend.
The daily schedule will be posted on a page on this website.
- Quiet hours to write
- Writing workshops and playshops, frequent freewrite circles
- Special events and open mics—including a bilingual one
- Private review of your writing by the editor-in-residence
- For time alone to write, please drop a donation in the box to support the day camp.
- Special sessions—classes, workshops, playshops—may have specified fees. Many will have guest leaders.
- Private editing sessions available at $40 per hour. You go away from the review enthused by new understandings (plural) on how to proceed with your project – or you get a refund. (I have been working as a freelance editor for 25 years.)
The Writers Day Camp is dedicated to the memory of and in honor of Laura Moore. Laura got her start at writing material for performance as a member of Perpendicular Poets, a group I founded. She became a favorite on our shows and began calling herself (rightfully so) a humorist. The May 3rd Grand Opening of the Writers Day Camp will feature readings from Laura’s writings.
I look forward to seeing you—at the Writers Day Camp!
I wish you good writing and fun doing it. (If it’s not fun, it won’t be good.)